Wednesday, January 4, 2017

RAMBLING in the NIGHTS.........The Love of Reading

Ramblings in the Night………The Love of Reading

            From a young age, I loved books. Even before I learned to read, I loved looking at the pictures in the books my folks bought me. One of the first books I ever received was a Bible story book. It was filled with pictures of different Bible stories that kids were taught in Sunday school. I can remember Mom would read me a story every night at bedtime.
            When I started elementary school at Robbinsville Elementary. There was a retired teacher named Ms. Ingram, who would come to the classroom once a week. She was a story teller. She never brought any books to read from. All of the stories were stored in her head. It was the best time of the week when she would walk into the classroom.
            Ms. Ingram would tell the most fascinating stories. Now you have to remember that this was in the early 70’s. She would tell the class stories called “Uncle Remus Tales.” These stories centered around a character named Brer Rabbit and his friends/enemies, Brer Fox, Brer Wolf, Brer Bear, etc, etc. These stories aren’t very often anymore. Because they are now considered risqué or even racist. They are said to refer to the days of slavery.
            Several years ago shortly after Y2K. I was shopping in McKay’s bookstore in Knoxville, TN. And came across a copy of the “Uncle Remus Tales,” It was a rare opportunity to own a copy of stories from my childhood. Ms. Ingram has passed on. So I couldn’t leave without purchasing the book. It has a special place in my personal library here at home.
            My Grandpa was the choir director at the church I went to when I was young. At an early age, he taught me and all his grandchildren the songs in the hymnals that we would be singing the following Sunday. Even though we didn’t know how to read. We would still hold the song books and act like we did. Singing brought great joy to me. I loved singing. I knew all the old hymns by heart by the time I was 5.  I was learning to read by age 4.
            But I had a problem. I could read just fine. But when I would talk I had a stutter. I’m talking Mel Tillis stuttering. It was bad. Trying to carry on a conversation took a lot of work. But now I could sing just fine too.
            My stutter became such a problem that when I started the 4th grade in elementary school. I was placed into a special reading program. Again, I could read just fine. But my stutter was causing me all kinds of grief. Reading out loud was a nightmare for me. I would turn beet red. My eyes would start watering. I was so embarrassed, that I finally got to the point that I refused to read in class.
            Well while I was in this special reading class. The teachers saw real quick that I knew how to read. It was my damn stutter that was the problem. And not one of them knew what to do to solve my dilemma. And as the school year was drawing to a close, and no idea what to do in sight. They told me that I would be coming back in the fall. I hated the thought of having to be in that special reading class another year.
            About 3 weeks before school ended. A new teacher came to the class. Her name was Ms. Hayes. Ms. Betty Mae Hayes, was one of my favorite people of all time. She would call me Ikie pooh. Don’t ask why, she just did. But after spending 2 days with her in the special reading class. She had an answer to my problem.  
            The other teachers thought that Ms. Hayes idea was crazy. Even went so far as to say that it would never work. Ms. Hayes was old school. And most of the teachers in the special reading program were all young. Ms. Hayes told me to stand in front of a mirror each day for one hour and read out loud. I looked at her, like she was crazy. She said trust me. If you don’t wish to be in this class in the fall, do as I say.
            I got home that afternoon from school. And ran into the house and told Mom what Ms. Hayes said to do. Mom looked at me and said, ok we will tell your dad when he gets home for supper. And we did. Dad asked what I needed to do this and I said, books.
            So at that time there was a store in Andrews called “Lays” and in Murphy a store called “Sky City.” Both carried paperback books.  I could buy a book for .75 cents to $1.50. Not a lot for the time. If I did my chores, then on Friday evening or Saturday afternoon we would go to one of those stores and I was allowed to get 2 books. The books were classics like, “The last of the Mohicans” or “The Red Badge of Courage,” and “Moby Dick.”
            By the end of the summer I had read 52 books. Other members of my family, would buy me a book or two while they were in Andrews or Murphy and bring them to the house for me. I spent at least an hour each day over the summer in front of the mirror in my Grandpa’s bedroom reading aloud. The more I did that the better I got. But it was by no means easy. Those first few weeks were very trying. But with a little bit of encouragement, I kept it up all summer.
            By the time school started back in the fall, I had nearly lost my stutter. I did end up in the special reading class for the first week of school. But after the teachers saw the improvement I had made on my own and with the advice of Ms. Hayes, I was allowed to return to my regular class for reading.
            Returning to the regular reading class was still a nightmare for me. We would have to read an assigned book. Write a book report, then give that book report in front of the whole class. My stutter was gone, but not my fear of public speaking. By the 7th grade I had a teacher name Ms. McIntosh. She was the best. She taught reading and language arts. Every week we had to read a book and give an oral presentation on the book that we read. We got 2 grades for that. One for reading and doing the book report. Then a second grade for reading our report in front of the class.
            Now let me say right here, that I had no problem with doing the reading or writing the report. But I wasn’t about to get up in front of the class and present the book report. I think I drove Ms. McIntosh crazy. I’d make a 100 for the report and a big fat 0 for refusing to get up in front of class and read it. So my total would be 50. When my parents found out, let’s just say that Mom beat the hell out of you first and asked questions later. I was more terrified of public speaking than I was Mom, and that is saying a lot. I was scared to death of Mom. Like I said, she beat you first, then asked questions.
            My Mom wasn’t a bad mom. She just expected me to do my best in school. But I was so shy at the time, I just couldn’t do it. Members of my family had to intervene. And Ms. McIntosh finally started asking me questions concerning what I had read. Making sure I had read the assigned reading and understood what I had read.
            I did outgrow my fear of public speaking. But I was in college at the time and had to have a little help from my Doctor. I’m sure most people would wish that I was still the shy guy that was scared of speaking in front of an audience. But not anymore. I am very vocal.
            Through the help and guidance of my Mom, grandpa, and my early teachers. I have a love for books and reading. I read over a hundred books a year. Every free moment I have usually finds me with my nose in a book. At present I personally own over 5,000 books. I have read them all. And many of them I have read several times. Family and friends think that I am crazy because I will re-read a book. Not me.
            Why write about reading. Most people find reading boring. Most young people today read only as a last resort. They can’t seem to keep their nose out of their smart phones. They are technologically smart. But don’t have a clue about life or the joy that can be found within the pages a good book. I guess I’m old fashioned. I read books or a book downloaded on a kindle or nook. I love to turn the pages and smell the book. Yeah books have a unique smell. And I love that smell.
            So take a moment, kick back, unplug, and unwind. Find a nice quiet space and settle in with a good book. Let your mind fly free and your imagination soar. You will be amazed at what you can experience, and the adventure to be had, while being lost to reality inside a wonderful book.

Written by: David M. Shuler

04JANUARY2017

No comments:

Post a Comment